Thursday, March 26, 2009

Giving Back - Follow up

Well the day finally arrived, the day I start to give blood again. Up early, had healthy breakfast, as I drove myself to the hospital, I was singing happily along to Pat Benatar’s “Heartbreaker”. As I was walking to the information center I had a little smile on my face, excited for what I was about to do, I finally got to the information desk and asked where the Blood Donor Center was, and the Pink lady behind the desk was unsure where it was, because she said “we never get people asking where the center is”. I thought to myself, well either they know where it is or WOW, what a shame that there are not more people in Bermuda who give blood.

So as I made my way up to the 1st floor of the hospital, anticipation came over me, like I was truly going to help someone by donating just one pint of blood. I was greeted by a very friendly nurse with a warming smile she asked me to sit while she pricked my finger and tested my iron levels. Much to my horror my iron level was 7.3, normal is 12.3 and above. So of course I was extremely disappointed, but I am not going to let that stop me. I am determined to get my iron level to where it is suppose to be with diet and supplements and in two months will try again.

LOW IRON?
Do you know the symptoms of low iron? Feeling tired? Sluggish? Can’t concentrate? Or have trouble thinking? Getting dizzy spells? Weak? Pale Skin? Always feeling cold? Having Heart Palpitations? These are all symptoms of Low Iron Levels. (Using US based statistics)
Up to 12% of woman (in the US) between the age of 12-49 are iron deficient?
As always, first check with your doctor if you have low iron.

Ways you can boost your iron levels with a change in your diet.

Excellent Source of IRON enriched foods
Beef and beef livers, Pork liver, chicken liver, clams, oysters, mussels, shrimp, sardines, Turkey, Enriched breakfast cereal, cooked beans and lentils, pumpkin seeds, blackstrap molasses, canned beans, baked potatoes with skin, enriched pasta, canned asparagus.

IRON ABSORPTION ENHANCERS
Meat/fish/poultry
Fruits: Oranges/OJ/cantaloupe/strawberries/grapefruit…etc
Vegetables: Broccoli/Brussels sprouts/tomatoes/tomato juice/potato/green and red peppers and white wine (well there is my problem, I do not drink white wine!)

IRON ABSORPTION INHIBITORS
Red wine (see I do drink red wine), coffee, tea
Vegetables: Spinach, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and sweet potatoes
Whole grains and bran and soy products

No comments:

Post a Comment