Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Going out to eat in Bermuda

As any Bermudian knows going out in Bermuda has skyrocketed. The average cost now is $100-$150 per person, including alcohol and service charge. Of course if you don’t drink then you will save a lot. But there are few Bermudians who don't drink.

I find the cost quiet offensive for meals that I know I can prepare myself with a little effort, not the mention the lack of service in most places! With the exception of one place that I do not mind paying that kind of money for and that is at Yahsi, or as most locals call it, Coconut Rock Sushi (or really any sushi for that matter).

However, a friend introduced us to a place that has vast menu, very good food and very good prices in Flatts Village, called INDIGO. The menu has creative selections that could please any finicky palate such as American, Chinese, Sushi, Indian and European. It’s great if you are with a group of people who all are in the mood for something different. I remember going on one occasion with a group of 7, a couple people started with sushi but then had Indian for their main course, then one had sliders for a appetizer and Chinese for a main, the possibilities are endless.

Last week my husband and I went for dinner, it was not planned, but we wanted somewhere cheap and cheerful. And as we were looking in the phone book we remembered Indigo, so off we went. It was about 8 PM on a Tuesday night, there were no issues with parking, especially since they have valet parking. We were lead up stairs and there were about 6 tables enjoying the array of culinary pleasure this place has to offer. We started with a bottle of house Sauvignon Blanc, Vodka cocktail and two appetizers, the salt and pepper crusted tofu, which my husband ordered and I was shocked because it is not his “type” of food and me with what ended up being mini pork eggrolls, the menu explained something else, but no complaints because they were good, but the tofu was better, much better, gonna have that next time we go!

My main was Chinese, Mongolian Beef with twice fried noodles, and it was fantastic, not to mention it was a very generous portion. My husband's main was Chinese also, sliced pork and exotic vegetables tossed in a garlic and rice wine sauce served with fried rice, another generous portion, which he said was extremely good, I did not have a taste for I was way too busy eating my delectable meal! Throughout the meal we had in total 3 drinks and a bottle of wine, with service charge our bill was 135.00, $67.50 a person! Which for Bermuda is fantastic for nice dining, no I would not consider Indigo fine dining, I have had fine dining and they are far from it, but it is very good value for the money. So if you ever find yourself with nothing to eat in your kitchen and want value for money place in Bermuda that is central located in Flatts Village and take a chance with INDGIO.

OTHER PLACES THAT I CONSIDER CHEAP AND CHEERFUL

Hog Penny, they also have a vast menu to select from, service is great and the Bloody Mary’s are out of this world! Located in Hamilton and have some wild entertainment with Will Black kickin’ it up. http://www.irg.bm

Pickled Onion, also, located in Hamilton with some kickin’ entertainment, they have a cosmic martini selection to choice from. Not to mention some great eats. I personally have a weakness for their nachos! http://www.irg.bm

Frog N’ Onion Pub, with nightly fish specials, super duper lunch combos and different live entertainment what more could you ask for. So what if they are located in Dockyard, take the ferry…you get a cruise and dinner…talk about a night out. http://www.frogandonion.bm

Blackbeard’s Hangout, this has a view. Located in St. George’s, but man the view is just awesome if you sit outside on the patio, however I am not going lie, it has been years since I have been there, but what I do remember is was fantastic!

Bistro J, is one of the most interesting restaurants in Bermuda, I love the fact the menu is written on giant blackboards with a only a couple of selections of appetizers, entrees and desserts and the menu changes according to what is fresh, so local ingredients being used!
This is another place that it has been some time since visiting, but what I remember is was super delicious. http://www.portocall.bm/bistro.php


There are many many other restaurants in Bermuda for you to check out and you are more than likely to have your favs…a friend of mine use to swear by The Lighthouse, before Primavera took over it. And I selected the above on my own personal experiences, preference and taste. Yours are probably different and you might even disagree with some of my selections and that is fine, you can send your rants, your raves, your disagreements or suggestions to bermudagourmetgoddess@gmail.com

I would love to hear all about it and maybe even “talk” about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment