Tuesday, May 19, 2009

LOCAL + FRESH = GOOD STUFF

Do you buy local? Have you tried your local Farmers Market? No matter where you are from try a local farmers market or find a local baker, local butcher, local fish monger, to purchase your meats, baked goods, meats, veggies and other goodies, you will find that not only is it fresher you also may even notice a savings because there is no middle man. Hey...When you go, don’t forget to take your own bags!



For my fellow Bermudians, have you been to Rock Island Coffee lately? Have you had the awesome baked goodies there? Do you know who makes those mouth watering delectable goodies, none other than The Barefoot Baker! She makes some of the best baked goods I have ever tasted, but she is also doing lunches there now, she keeps is mainly vegetarian for sanitary reasons in her kitchen around the baked good, but man oh man, you will not be disappointed. Try, soups, sandwiches, baked goodies and cookies as big as...well they are just damn BIG cookies and luscious. She also bakes brownies, cinnamon rolls, cookies and cupcakes to order, so stop by Rock Island Coffee or the Farmers Market on Saturdays and give her a holler. However don’t take my word that she is the best baker in Bermuda…check out her website http://www.thebarefootbaker.com/

By the way, The Barefoot Baker it’s just a name, she really does wear shoes!

Buy Local, Eat Fresh
The Bermuda Gourmet Goddess





WAIT THERE IS MORE...



Being that I am on my soap box about utilizing local Farmers Markets I decided to feature TOMATOES because my Poppy use to grow the BEST tomatoes, so in his memory I started a tomato garden and WOW – I shocked myself, first I haven’t killed them and second they have taken over my entire garden and I can’t wait to slice into one of those red gems.



I love tomatoes and I hope you do too. Enjoy….



Tomato and Basil “Dip”

6 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 Bunch of fresh basil, julienned
1 med red onion diced
4 cloves garlic, minced


1/4 c mozzarella diced


Salt pepper to taste
¼ c EVOO
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar



Mix all ingredients together and let sit for at least 1 hour, this will allow the flavors to develop.



Served with toasted bread points – it’s quick and easy and tasty!





Green Bean and Tomato Salad

2 C of blanched green beans, cut bite size
1 C grape tomato, cut in half
1 lg Shallot Sliced
3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
(I like goat cheese, ok I LOVE goat cheese, so I have a tendency to use way to much!)
1 tsp White wine Vinegar
3 tbsp of good olive oil
1 tbsp of Herbs de Provence
S&P to taste

In a large pot bring water to a boil; add some salt and blanch the green beans in the water for 2 ½ minutes. Remove and shock in an ice bath, after a minute in the ice bath remove and drain on a towel.
Mix together the dried green beans, tomatoes, shallot, cheese vinegar, olive oil herbs and S&P. Mix well and allow to sit for at least an hour.





Gourmet IT UP! Top with toasted almond slivers for an added flavor level and cruch.



I have a friend who does not eat salads, he pretty much will not anything GREEN, however he loves this salad….I think it could be the goat cheese!

Caprese "Salad" Sandwich

1 Whole Grain Baguette, sliced in half
1 Ripe tomato, sliced
1 med Fresh Mozzarella ball, sliced
Fresh basil
Basil Oil

Slice and toast the baguette, drizzle with basil oil, layer the sliced tomatoes, and mozzarella and basil, drizzle some more basil oil…if you like a lot of basil (like me) the go the extra mile and pile it on! Place in a panini press and let “grill” from a minute or two, just enough to where the cheese is just starting to melt…If you do not have a press just grill like a grilled cheese sandwich.
Gourmet IT UP! -
Add some Parma ham!

No comments:

Post a Comment